Starting A Construction Project? How To Avoid Problems With The Building Approval

20 January 2023
 Categories: , Blog

If you're planning a construction project, the first thing you need to do is get building approval. Your project can't start without the building approval. Unfortunately, mistakes in the approval process can delay your project. That's why you need to take your time to get the process done right the first time. If this is your first construction project, you might not know what to do. Or, you might have run into problems in the past. Either way, read the list provided below. This list will help take the stress out of getting your building approval. 

Provide Relevant Documents

If you're applying for building approval, you need to gather your relevant documents. This includes your building plans and specifications. But, it also includes the list of payment fees and necessary certifications. Do you need special permits for your construction project? If so, you should include those applications as well. That way, the council sees that you have everything in order for the project. 

Get Your Statutory Approval

Once you have your documents gathered, you'll need to submit your application. Before you file the application, check to make sure there aren't any mistakes in the paperwork. Mistakes can delay the application process. This includes wrong dates and missing information. Once you're sure the paperwork is correct, you can submit the application. Be sure to include the entire packet with your application. You'll need that for statutory approval. 

Get Order for Encroachment

If your construction project will encroach on other land, you'll need to get permission before you can begin work. You can do this in a couple of ways. First, you can get permission from the land owners. For this, you'll need a signed statement giving you permission to encroach on the land. If you can't get permission from the land owner, you'll need to go to court. Once you've gotten the court order for encroachment, you'll submit that to the council. 

Document Fire Safety Plan

If you're applying for building approval, you might need to document your fire safety plan. This is especially true for class 2 or class 9 buildings. If your plans involve those types of buildings, you'll need to submit paperwork to the FES commissioner. The paperwork should include copies of your building plans. It should also include copies of your fire safety plans. 

Don't take chances with your building approval. Use the tips provided here to get approval the first time.